Pear Apple Crisp
With much reluctance I am starting to embrace the idea of fall. I suppose I should, it is October. Actually I don’t mind fall, all of the colors, cozy sweaters, but fall signifies the rapid coming of winter. But where we live winter doesn’t wait to arrive until the official start of winter in late December. Winter starts here in NW Pennsylvania while it’s still officially fall. I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer in Pennsylvania, and NOT a lover of cold and winter. So, I am still mourning the loss of summer, but I am trying to embrace the change and enjoy the beauty and coziness the comes with fall.
One of the redeeming parts of fall is the food! I think this is the best time to use the pears before they are gone for the season, along with apples. I really do Love the combination. I hope you do too. This is a family favorite for us. Typically I like to add a bit of homemade whipped cream on top, or some ice cream. Happy cooking!
- 4 medium size apples
- 3 pears
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¾ cup uncooked oats
- ½ cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven at 375
- Wash, core, and slice apples and pears (I personally leave the peels on, feel free to peel first if you desire)
- layer apples and pears in a 9x13 baking dish
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, then drizzle apples with maple syrup
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, oats and spice in a bowl.
- Add in vanilla and cut in butter with a fork.
- Work until mixture forms large crumbs.
- Sprinkle over apples and pears
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until topping is browned apples and pears are soft