I have to confess, I’m really not a burger person. I can eat them, as long as I don’t really think about what it is that I’m eating. Usually though, I don’t like the thought of eating a big hunk of meat like many do. But, why not enjoy small pieces of that in a soup form?! Sounds like a good option to me!!! Plus, cheese is something that we can’t get quite enough of in our house, cheese, AND mushrooms.
I do have to mention, I didn’t expect the soup to turn out as yellow as it is. I expected that it would be whiter. But then I realized that it’s actually just the natural color of potatoes and cheese. Plus I do use anything in my recipe that would make it whiter such as flour.
This is a great dish for a cold night, like we are about to have here in PA. I’ve been told that it doesn’t sound nearly as appetizing as it is. So try it, you may like it more than you though. I hope your family enjoys it too! Happy eating!
- 4 stocks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms chopped
- 6 C. chicken broth
- 1 lb ground beef
- 16 oz shredded cheese
- 1-2 C. milk
- 4 oz cream cheese (optional)
- Place celery, carrot, onion, potatoes, and chicken broth in a crockpot. Cook on high 4-6 hours , until potatoes are very soft. (It will probably be closer to 6 hrs)
- Use an immersion blender/ mixer to mash potatoes and vegetables. Leave a few small pieces, it doesn't need to be completely smooth
- Add in milk to make it the desired consistency
- Finish by adding mushrooms, cheese, cooked ground beef, cream cheese, and salt to taste
- Allow to heat through, about an additional 20 minutes
- Serve with crackers or bread